85% of all teenagers suffer from acne; of those 25% will have permanent acne scars. Renowned cosmetic Dermatologist Doctor Simon Ourian M.D. says that the Coolaser treatment he developed is the most effective treatment he knows to deal with this all too common affliction.
March 30, 2009 — Dr. Simon Ourian, Medical Director of Epione Beverly Hills, located in the exclusive shopping, restaurant and hotel enclave in Los Angeles, California knows all about acne and acne scars. Every day he speaks with and treats patients, both men and women, with this sometimes disfiguring affliction.
Acne is one of the most common skin diseases. Typically acne develops during the teen years and 20’s. Varieties include blackheads and whiteheads as well as more severe forms such as cystic acne and nodular acne. The causes of acne are varied and include:
- Hormones: The overproduction of oil by the sebaceous glands. Each oil gland is connected to a tiny canal containing a hair. This canal is called a follicle. A rise in hormones, especially androgens, may signal the sebaceous glands to overproduce oil which then mixes with dead skin cells and clogs the pores of the skin. This becomes a fertile breeding ground for bacteria which in turn may leak to neighboring tissue causing redness, swelling and bumps or pimples. Both male and female hormones have been shown to impact the severity of acne.
- Cosmetics and skin care products: Cosmetics and skin care products that clog pores may cause acne. Many cosmetics and skin care products are non-comedogenic which means they do not clog pores.
- Heredity: Scientists and Dermatologists believe there may be a hereditary component to acne but are unsure as of yet what it may be.
“Acne misconceptions abound, ” says Doctor Ourian, “diet, sweat and stress are often inaccurately blamed as causes of acne.”
- Diet: People are often told to stay aware from certain types of food such as chocolate or junk food. Greasy food may not be good for your waistline or overall health but it, like the other foods mentioned, is not a cause of acne.
- Sweat: As explained above, it is an excess of oil produced by the sebaceous glands that clogs pores not sweat. And it is important to note that over-washing may tend to dry out and irritate skin.
- Stress: Acne is unpleasant and the resulting stress may cause people to scratch at their pimples and creates scars. But stress, in and of itself, is not a direct cause of acne.
“In layman’s terms, using the Coolaser, I can sand down the surface of the skin so that the scars are less deep”, explains Doctor Ourian. “In some cases I’ll recommend a dermal filler such as Radiesse, Restylane or Juvéderm for acne scars that are especially deep.”
What does a Coolaser session fell like? According to Doctor Ourian “Most patients liken it to the snapping of a rubber band. If necessary, I can prescribe a topical anesthetic cream to help alleviate any discomfort.”
“I have been practicing as a cosmetic Dermatologist for more than ten years, ” continues Doctor Ourian, “and I have yet to see another laser or treatment modality achieve superior results to the Coolaser, especially when used in conjunction with a dermal filler.”
Dr. Ourian’s Epione Medical Corporation, located in Beverly Hills Golden Triangle, is among the most comprehensive and state-of-the-art laser and aesthetic surgery centers. Dr. Ourian has been a pioneer for laser technology and non-invasive aesthetic procedures including Restylane, Botox, Juvéderm, Radiesse and Sculptra. These treatments are used for correction or reversal of a variety of conditions such as acne, acne scars, acne scar removal, skin discoloration, lip enhancement, wrinkles, stretch marks, varicose veins, cellulite, and tens of others. Laser hair removal and laser tattoo removal are offered too. Epione also carries Dr. Ourian’s Signature Series skin care products. For further information please contact 310-271-6506.